Thursday, January 14, 2016

Two Weeks In

               So here we are, two weeks into the new year already. How are you doing? Did you make and resolutions for 2016? I didn't make any resolutions myself, not that there's anything wrong with those who did, but I did set a goal for this year. To walk a collective 100 miles. Well, there's a bit more to it than that.

               You see, last year I found a walking challenge set up by the Chief of the West Virginia State Park System called "The Chief's challenge( I know, original) and decided that that would be a perfect motivator to get myself and my family outdoors more this year. Specifically, out into our state parks. So, my wife and I both signed up and awaited the new year. Ah, but there's still more yet.

               In waiting for the new year to dawn so we could start racking up miles, I found a second walking challenge. The U.S. National Park Service is turning 100 this year, 2016, and so they issued a (very) similar challenge to the Chief's. Their challenge, at least it is for National Parks in West Virginia, was to walk 100 miles on their trails within three specific parks. Now, this isn't very difficult to do as these parks have miles and miles of trail. But, a second 100 mile challenged? Yup!

               You see, I told my wife that when I was able to walk again that I would never take it for granted, EVER! So what good is working my ass off and going through everything I did to reach the goal of being a "walker" again if I'm not going to use it? Answer: No good. That's where 200 miles of trail walks spit evenly between West Virginia's state parks and national parks comes in. It's a fun, exciting, ehhhh plausible goal for me and my family to shoot for during the entire year.

               "But Levi," some may ask "can you walk that far? What if you don't complete one or either of the challenges? Won't you feel as though you've failed?" HA! Hell no I won't feel like I failed. I'll feel like I got outside more than I have in years. I'll feel like I've walked more miles in our state's wild places than I have in years. And I'll feel like I walked further than I have in years. How in the world can I feel like a failure when I'll have accomplished so much?

               So there you have it folks, my goal is to walk 100 miles this year...twice. If nothing else, it'll be exciting.

Have a great day and remember; Keep doing what you can, until you can do what you couldn't before.

No comments:

Post a Comment